Crusty Potato Bread
As much as I love books, I have a hard time tearing myself away from the internet when it comes to recipes. I’m a tried-and-true follower of allrecipes.com. The recipes I choose to make from that website consistently turn out for me. I think the major draw for me (and surely many of their other contributors) is the abundance of feedback from people who have actually tried the recipe. By reading the ratings and comments of chefs, you can really get an idea of how a recipe will turn out, or of any alterations to make before you begin.
My latest success from allrecipes?
adapted from allrecipes.com
makes one two-pound loaf
- 3 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle and press start.
- When cycle completes, punch down dough and remove from bread machine. Place on floured surface and knead several times. Form dough into a large square. Fold in thirds. Starting at short end, roll into a loaf. Place in greased bread pan. Cover with clean dish towel; let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees (350 if using a glass pan) for about 25 minutes, or until top is brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped.