This is another one of the recipes we made for our Superbowl celebration (oh so long ago by this time!). It was only a party of two since Paul got home from a six day business trip in DC moments before the game began, but this snack made it feel a bit more festive! I had to scale the recipe back a bit as the original recipe made 24 servings. For the full recipe, see Our Best Bites.
from Our Best Bites
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes (squeeze out seeds before dicing)
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil, plus extra
- 1 dash kosher salt
- 1 crack black pepper
- 1 tbs chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 tsp dried basil
- 8 slices of fresh baguette (1/2 inch each)
- 1 large garlic clove
- fresh mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine tomatoes, onions, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and 1 tsp olive oil in a bowl and mix to combine. Add basil and gently toss to distribute. Give it a taste and add additional salt and pepper if necessary. Cover and chill.
- Place baguette slices baking sheet. Brush some olive oil on top. Place in oven for 8 minutes until just lightly toasted. Remove pan from oven. Slice garlic clove in half and rub cut side down on each piece of bread. Top with about a slice of fresh mozzarella and one tablespoon of the tomato mixture.