Fannie Farmer’s Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Tonight I forgot to defrost any meat for dinner; we didn’t have leftovers; no bright ideas seemed to jump out at me. I was craving Chinese food, and I almost caved. Almost.
Then I remembered a little post it note I have stuck to the fridge for just such occasions – meal ideas that we almost always have the ingredients for on hand. This didn’t solve my defrosting issue, but it did produce this delicious idea:
I served it with cooked peas and carrots on the side. We both ended up mixing everything together. Two thumbs up!
Fannie Farmer’s Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
recipe based on from food.com
- 8 ounces dried macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded good quality
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter. Add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended. Pour milk and cream in gradually; stirring constantly. Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes (stirring constantly). Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly) 10 minutes.
- Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts. Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
- Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish; sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.